Et voila! Just like that, we are celebrating a month of healthy and clean eating (YAY !!), always in the same attempt at getting our bad cholesterol to an acceptable level (Booooo). Taking our good cholesterol up, is also a necessity, but we haven’t taken this seriously enough yet, I’m the only one who has been going to the gym, and I’m far from being good or committed enough to share a few bits of advice.
So, while I do enjoy the mutual benefits of being active and eating clean: my energy is up, my belly slightly slimmer, my skin brighter (muahahaha, completely lying here, my skin is still as gray as a raining sky thanks to the 12 sticks I smoke per day). I must honestly say that:
- I’m craving for sweets and junk food. You know something like a baked cream cheese topped with tomato salsa & cheddar that I would binge eat with Tortilla chips while binge-watching Girls (@Lena, please write another season)
- It takes a lot of time, preparation, energy, and money to cook well. It really does. I don’t think I would be able to do it if I had to run a household by myself and work full time in a corporate office.
- I’m more often than not starving by 5.00 pm and 10.30 pm. I have so far trying to survive until dinner with banana and nuts, and treat myself with half a Kinder Bueno every night. I believe yummy treats would help with the overall craving. But it can’t undo all the effort we do during a normal meal, or it would be all for nothing, so it must be healthy and delicious.
I am trying to figure out the best ways to organize myself in the kitchen to:
- Stop running out of items I need and realizing it only halfway through a recipe. Even though it develops your creativity, it is highly frustrating
- Cook a meal that is healthy and appealing and filling up (I know that is a lot to ask). It was easy the first couple of weeks, but now I am lacking either inspiration or ingredients aren’t available off the shelf on this island.
- Find yummy balanced snack to help with the craving and starving. Here Understand, it has to be healthy, taste good and fill up my tummy.
- Stop battling with the ongoing auto-filling dirty dishes in the kitchen sink. I never thought that taking over our nutrition would be so time-consuming, but prepping the food and cleaning the dishes really add-up.
I have been looking for some healthy but yummy snacks that would help with the hunger. I have spotted a few recipes on Pinterest, Instagram, blogs... I’ll be trying them one by one and share only the good one with you. But don’t worry ladies, while I am all for cleaner, healthier habits, in my opinion, a cake should have butter, flour, and egg, or at least 2 of those to be called a cake. It is not going to be about replacing all the key ingredients by healthy substitute like egg by aquafaba, firstly because that liquid is not inspiring, secondly because it is impossible to find as an expat who doesn’t live in a super mega big city, and lastly because I don’t think any non-processed ingredient is that bad for our health, it’s all about balance and moderation. I might consider swapping sugar by dates or adding Zucchini in a chocolate cake, this seems acceptable, but only if it doesn’t spoil the taste.
With all that said, I have also found a few things organization hacks that work very well for me and I want to share them with you. Maybe you can relate, and maybe you have a few suggestions that work really well for you.
So, stay tuned, I’ll soon post a few organization tricks and yummy snack recipes.